Family Of Someone Over-Served Can Sue Bar

Posted on Posted in Uncategorized


With New Years Eve approaching, our thoughts turn to partying and drinking. At the Rochlin Law Firm, our personal injury lawyers have represented many people and their families injured by drunk drivers, and we have sometimes sued the bar that over-served the driver.

However, our attorneys also sometimes represent the family of the person who was drinking at the bar or nightclub.   When a person drinks too much at a bar and then injuries himself because of the intoxication, he generally cannot successfully sue the bar.  However, although the drinker may not have a case against the bar for his injuries, the family may have a claim, particularly where there has been a fatal accident killing the drinker.

It is absolutely illegal in Minnesota for a bar to serve a customer who is obviously already intoxicated.  The law allows anyone who suffers a loss as a result of the bar’s illegal sale of alcohol to sue the bar for their losses.  The family of the intoxicated drinker who is injured may have to pay medical bills or provide care for the drinker after the injury.  They may have to miss time from work, make special accommodations, and provide financial support because the injured drinker can no longer work. These are losses for which the family can sue the bar and get reimbursement.

If your son, daughter, or other family member is injured because they were a customer over served by a bar, please call us and speak with a lawyer for a free consultation.  We will explain your rights and whether you may have a case against the bar.