PASSENGER ON MOTORCYCLE IN ACCIDENT LAWYERS – MN ATTORNEY FOR INJURED VICTIM
Motorcycles are a great way to get around, and are also fun. Unfortunately, they can also result in injury if the motorcycle driver is not careful or, more frequently, another car on the road fails to see the bike and causes an accident.
Our Minnesota personal injury lawyers have represented many passengers on a motorcycle injured in an accident because of an inattentive car, or carelessness by the bike driver.
INSURANCE FOR PASSENGER INJURED ON MOTORCYCLE IN MINNESOTA
Because a motorcycle is not defined as a “motor vehicle” in many areas of Minnesota’s no-fault laws, the motorcyclist often has limited medical benefits and wage loss benefits after an accident from their own insurance. However, while there are often limitations on what insurance compensation a motorcycle rider will get after an accident in MN, passengers often have more insurance coverage available than the driver. Most people injured in a motorcycle crash don’t know what insurance is legally available to them. If you are a passenger on a motorcycle and injured in an accident, please call us so that one of our MN motorcycle accident lawyers can discuss your particular situation and advise you of your rights.
MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
Our personal injury lawyers in Minnesota have seen a passenger on a motorcycle sustain many types of injuries or death from being hit by a car. Injuries where a passenger on a motorcycle is hit by a car or truck usually include broken or crushed bones. Often the motor cycle rider is injured in the accident by contact with the ground after being thrown from the bike – often because the motorcycle driver is cut off by a car or truck, causing the bike driver to lay down the bike while at high speed. Our motorcycle injury lawyers in MN almost always see severe road rash burns from a motorcycle accident. Unfortunately, our top motorcycle accident attorneys too often see head injuries. Wearing a helmet definitely offers some protection in motorcycle accidents, but not necessarily.
One report, cited in Wikipedia, commented on injuries after an accident stating that the likelihood of injury is extremely high in car impact motorcycle accidents – 98% of the multiple vehicle collisions and 96% of the single vehicle accidents resulted in some kind of injury to the motorcycle rider; 45% resulted in more than a minor injury. Injuries most often include:
- Collision with less forgiving protective barriers or roadside “furniture” (lampposts, signs, fences, etc…). Note that when one falls off a motorcycle in the middle of a curve, lamps and signs become impossible to negotiate around.
- Concussion and brain damage, as the head violently contacts other vehicles, the ground, or objects. Riders wearing an approved helmet reduce the risk of death by 37 percent.
- Breakage of joints (elbows, shoulders, hips, knees and wrists), fingers, spine and neck, for the same reason. The most common broken bones are the bones around the shoulder and the pelvis.
- Soft tissue (skin and muscle) damage (road rash) as the body slides across the surface. This can be prevented almost entirely with the proper use of motorcycle-specific protective apparel such as a leather jacket or reinforced denim and textile pants.
- There is also a condition known as biker’s arm, where the nerves in the upper arm are damaged during the fall, causing a permanent paralysis of arm movement.
- Facial disfigurement, if in the absence of a full-face helmet, the unprotected face in a motorcycle accident slides across the ground or smashes into an object. Thirty-five percent of all crashes show major impact on the chin-bar area.
MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT INJURY COMPENSATION FOR PASSENGER WHERE OTHER DRIVER IS AT FAULT
Even if you don’t have no-fault coverage for your motorcycle accident injury, our top personal injury attorneys for motorcycle passengers may be able to get you compensation from the insurance for the car that hit your motorcycle, or the driver of the bike you were on. Our MN accident injury lawyers will investigate the facts and determine who was at fault. Sometimes even if the police report initially puts fault on one driver or the other, it may be possible to prove your case with witness statements and an accident reconstruction expert. It is important for the driver to keep the motorcycle in the condition it was in at the time of the accident, i.e. don’t fix it, so we can rule out mechanical failure of the bike as a contributing cause of the motorcycle accident. The primary focus of our best Minnesota motorcycle accident lawyers is to get the injured motorcycle passenger fair and complete compensation for your injuries.
EXPERIENCED MOTORCYCLE INJURY LAWYERS IN MN
Our motorcycle accident attorneys have represented many MN motorcycle passengers who have been injured because a car or truck driver was not keeping a proper lookout, usually before a lane change, or the driver of a bike that was going too fast or was too inexperienced. Unfortunately the injuries sustained by a motorcycle passenger are rarely minor. At a minimum, a motorcycle passenger will sustain road rash from the accident, which can cause permanent scarring. Worse, a motorcycle accident can cause those on the bike to suffer fractured bones, head injuries or death. See also, How to get Medical Bills Paid.
Pam Rochlin and David Rochlin are Minnesota personal injury attorneys with more than 25 years’ experience, handling hundreds of motorcycle and car accident injury cases throughout Minnesota. Pam was a former partner at Meshbesher & Spence, and offers small firm attention to her clients. Our motorcycle passenger accident injury lawyers can meet with you to discuss your case at our offices in Edina, Woodbury and Minneapolis MN. Our attorneys also meet injured motorcycle passengers at their homes to discuss accidents in St. Paul MN, Rogers MN, Elk River, Maple Grove, Brooklyn Park MN, Chanhassen, Chaska, and other cities throughout Minnesota. We will always provide you with a free initial consultation and we only charge a percentage of the compensation we recover for you.