How To File Claim With Other Drivers Auto Insurance


File Auto Accident Claim
File Auto Accident Claim

After a car accident, people often have many insurance questions. One important question is how to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance. To start with, you need your car fixed or replaced. The starting point for reporting the insurance claim is to get the other driver’s information. You at least need their name and their insurance company. However, it is better if you can get their policy number from their insurance card.  Sometimes the responding law enforcement will help you with this.

Once you have the other driver’s information, you can call their insurance company directly to report the claim.  You don’t need the other driver to call first. The insurance company will want to talk with their insured before taking any action, but you can at least get the process started.

From there, however, things get a bit more complicated. First, you need to understand how medical bills are paid if you were injured. Minnesota is a “No-Fault state.”  What does this mean?  It means that YOUR insurance pays your inititial medical bills, even if the other driver was at fault.  However, it does not mean that fault is not still important. Your auto insurance may only pay a portion of your medical bills.  In addition, it is the other driver’s car insurance that pays things like pain and compensation, if the other driver was at fault.


If you have been injured in a car accident, call us for a free consultation. Our top car accident lawyers have more than 25 years experience helping people throughout Minnesota. If we take your case, we will file the claim against the other driver’s insurance for you. Our lawyers will answer your questions and explain your rights.  We have a long record of success with car accident cases in MN.