What happens if I am injured at a store or other business property?



Many people believe if you are injured in a store or business property, the owner is automatically responsible. The property owner should pay your medical bills, time off from work/lost wages, and other compensation for the injury.Unfortunately, that is not exactly correct. Minnesota law holds the business or store owner responsible for injuries that occur on their property only if the accident was their fault.

A yellow cone with caution written on it.
Injury At Store or Business MN Lawyers

Determining whether the accident was the store’s fault usually requires some investigation and legal analysis. Therefore, we advise that you contact an experienced attorney if you have been injured at a store or on someone’s property. We will help you determine whether or not you have a legal case against the owner or manager of the property.


The first thing to do after you have been injured in a store or business is to report the injury to the owner or manager. You should tell them generally that you were injured on their property, what happened, and briefly describe your injuries. Do not provide a recorded or written statement regarding the incident until you speak with an experienced injury attorney.

If the person who you notify of the incident fills out a report, check it for accuracy. Also, make sure to get the name and contact information of the person you report the incident to. If possible, also get the names of any other employees or witnesses if possible. Ask for a copy of the report before you leave the premises. Do not sign this accident report.

Also, if you are with someone, have them use their phone to take photographs of the area where you were injured. If possible, get photos of anything that caused your injury. It is always a good idea to take as many photographs as you can from every angle. If you are alone and can take the photographs yourself, do so.Otherwise, try to have a friend or family member go back to where the accident happened to take the photographs for you. You want pictures taken as soon after the accident as possible. Pictures of the accident area are often crucial in helping our top MN injury lawyers prove the case.

If there is no one present at the business at the time of your injury, you should immediately contact the business in writing regarding the incident. Again, inform the property owner generally about what happened and briefly describe your injuries.


Even if you don’t have a legal case against the owner of the property, you may still be entitled to certain medical benefits under the property owner’s insurance company. See also, How To Get Medical Bills Paid. Please contact our office right away so thatan accident injury lawyercan provide you information on what benefits may be available to you.

Pam Rochlin and David Rochlin are Minnesota personal injury attorneys with over 25 years’ experience. We have successfully handled hundreds of cases where someone was injured at a store or business. Our lawyers hande slip fall, trip fall cases, and accidents where something falls off of a shelf and hits our client. Also, cases where a machine malfunctions, a floor is mopped and no wet sign is put out, an empty pallet is left in a store isle, and many others. Our lawyerswill provide you with a free initial consultation. Further, we will never charge anything unless you are compensated for your injuries.