Fewer Uninsured Driver Accident With New Minnesota Law


New Law Requires Proof of Insurance with Vehicle Renewal

Minnesota law requires drivers to have insurance to operate an automobile. However, our lawyers have had many car accident cases where the other driver that caused the crash is uninsured. This can limit our injured clients’ rights to obtain full compensation for their injuries.

For a number of years, MN has not required proof of insurance when registering or renewing vehicle registration. However, in 2015, the state passed new legislation requiring proof of insurance when registering/renewing license plate tabs.  The new statute is 169.798, subdivision 4. Here is the actual language of the statute:

Car Accident Driver No Insurance
Car Accident Driver No Insurance

Subd. 4. Insurance information required.

Every owner, when applying for motor vehicle or motorcycle registration, re-registration, or transfer of ownership, must provide information showing that the motor vehicle or motorcycle is covered by an insurance policy. Information required under this subdivision consists of the insurance company’s name, the policy number, and the policy expiration date for the subject motor vehicle or motorcycle.

Now, everyone must provide the name of their auto insurer, the policy number, and the policy’s expiration date to get license plate tabs.  The same proof is also now required when transferring ownership of a vehicle.  We hope that with the new law, more Minnesotans will be insured when they are driving their vehicles, protecting accident victims’ right to compensation after a car crash. There is nothing worse than being the victim of a car accident and then finding out the other driver had no insurance.


If you have been injured in a car accident by an uninsured driver, please call our office for a free consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer. Pam Rochlin and David Rochlin have more than 25 years’ experience representing hundreds of people injured in automobile accident – including many where the other driver does not have insurance. An attorney will explain your rights to you and make sure you get all the compensation you are entitled to.

Our best MN auto accident lawyers will meet with you at our offices in Edina, Minneapolis, Woodbury, or St. Louis Park.  Our lawyers also will go to people’s homes to discuss a no insurance car accident injury in St. Paul, Roseville, Forest Lake, White Bear Lake, and Lino Lakes. We also go to Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Golden Valley, Maple Grove, Plymouth, Eden Prairie, Apple Valley, Chaska, Chanhassen, Rogers, Albert Lea, Mankato, Burnsville, and other cities throughout Minnesota.