INFECTION FROM DOG BITE – LAWYERS MN SERIOUS INJURY
A recent story in the Washington Post reported that a man was in a medically induced coma for 11 days after being bitten by a dog. His wife took him to the hospital and dropped him off at the emergency room. After parking the car and expecting to join her husband in the waiting room, she was met by a nurse with an urgent message: The 50-year man had suddenly become unresponsive. They had been to the same emergency room the previous night because David had a fever and needed to be assessed; however, after five hours and still unable to see a doctor, they left, with the goal of returning in the morning. According to Becky, that was their first bad decision: a decision that left David battling a catastrophic illness that kills between 60 and 80 percent of its victims. David’s life was saved by the doctors, but several of his toes had to be partially amputated, and he now suffers with profound permanent hearing loss. At the Rochlin Law Firm, our top MN dog bite lawyers have represented many people bitten by a dog in Minnesota. Most of our dog attack bite cases involve compensation for a scar or reconstructive surgery, but there is also the possibility of serious injury from infection after being bitten by a dog.
TREATMENT FOR DOG BITE
David was a marathoner, and three days before being hospitalized he had gone for a run after work and taken one of the family dogs. As he was returning home, one of his neighbor’s dogs attacked his dog, and while trying to separate the animals the neighbor’s schnauzer bit David on his thigh. David cleaned the dog bite wound and applied anti-bacterial cream, and the following day he sought his first treatment at an urgent care center where he was administered a tetanus shot for the dog bite. While the doctor offered to prescribe antibiotics as a precautionary measure, he also mentioned that only five percent of bites become infected. As it turns out, this information was incorrect because the figure for dog bite infection is closer to 20 percent. David knew about the overuse of antibiotics, and decided not to take them. The next day David was too ill to drive home from work and called Becky, who picked him up and took him back to the clinic. His temperature was 102.9, and the area around the bite was warm and swollen, so the nurse practitioner advised the couple to go to the University Hospital E.R., saying she would call ahead. When David and Becky arrived at the hospital there was no record of any call and, after waiting half an hour to see a doctor, Becky became concerned that their own dogs had been crated for more than 13 hours, so she went home to walk them.
A triage nurse saw David while she was gone, and David told the nurse he needed treatment for a high fever, and that he’d had a flu shot (not a tetanus shot) two days earlier. He failed to mention anything about the dog bite. For the next three hours they waited to see a doctor, but because the E.R. was so busy Becky did not approach the registration desk or ask any questions. All the while, David’s vital signs were being taken regularly so they assumed there was no urgency. Just before midnight Becky spoke to the paramedic who was monitoring David and advised that they planned to go home and return in the morning. She said the paramedic told her, “I wouldn’t leave if my girlfriend had blood pressure like this,” but she didn’t know what David’s normal blood pressure was or what the paramedic actually meant. Becky remembers telling him, “But you guys aren’t doing anything,” and exhausted, the couple left.
The following morning the couple drove back to the hospital. David seemed worse, but he was able to get into the car. At the hospital he was loaded into a wheelchair by Becky and an E.R. aide. When Becky rushed back into the hospital, David was lying on a gurney with his eyes closed: he was clearly out of it – his fingernails blue, a sign of shock. She also told hospital staff that David had no spleen, which meant he was especially vulnerable to infection [such as from a dog bite like this case]. People without spleens are usually told to take special precautions, including informing all health-care personnel that they lack a spleen, staying up-to-date on immunizations, and taking antibiotics at the first sign of possible infection. Neither Becky nor David knew anything about these special precautions, and because David didn’t have a regular doctor he’d never had the recommended immunizations.
Doctors began frantically trying to save David’s life which was at risk because of infection from the dog bite. His breathing was labored, his kidneys were failing, and he had developed disseminated intravascular coagulation. A head scan showed that he probably had meningitis, which had invaded his bloodstream and caused septic shock. While David was being moved to the intensive care unit Becky repeatedly mentioned the dog bite as a possible cause of infection, but the doctors weren’t concerned because they believed his meningitis infection was caused by bacteria called Neisseria Meningitidis, even though they had no idea as to how he acquired it. Becky still wasn’t convinced, especially after a friend found articles in medical journals about a rare bacterium transmitted in dog saliva which causes potentially fatal infections, especially in people who have no spleen.
The specialist who eventually identified the cause of David’s illness, was called in on the sixth of David’s 51-day hospitalization. He said the ICU team mentioned the dog bite, but said the wound didn’t look bad and they were not focusing on that. But Dr. Forster was concerned, because dog bite wounds don’t necessarily show signs of infection, when all the while the bacteria infested dog saliva can wreak havoc inside the body. Tests on David’s blood cells confirmed his suspicion. However, the specialist noted that “the temporal association with the dog bite was too close to ignore.” Fortunately, the treatment for both infections are similar, said Forster.
Because of the infection from the dog bite, David was in a medically induced coma for 11 days and faced many months of recovery, punctuated by setbacks. Due to a persistent infection he lost part of three toes and required a cochlear implant to mitigate the deafness caused by his illness. According to Forster, the antibiotics declined by David following the dog bite could well have prevented sepsis. He also believes that David’s case highlights the need of having front-line providers being aware of rare infections.
While Becky and David Krall are deeply grateful to the doctors who saved David’s life, they hope their story reinforces the importance of improving communication in emergency departments. And Becky is still upset that David’s illness after being bitten by a dog was not addressed during his first E.R. visit, and that she was not made aware just how sick her husband was. She certainly wasn’t aware that when patients are in the throes of sepsis, are confused, or are delirious, that they can provide incorrect information to hospital staff.
Last year David and Becky met with hospital officials to discuss ways to improve communication. The hospital administrator said they’ve looked at David’s case in detail, and, as a result, a physician is now part of the triage team during the busy afternoon and evening shifts. In addition, a tracking board displays patients’ vital signs.
DOG BITE LAWYERS MN
If have been bitten by a dog and acquire an infection because of the dog bite in MN, please call our office and speak with an attorney for a free consultation. Our best lawyers have more than 25 years’ experience and have successfully represented hundreds of people with dog bite and other injury cases. A dog bite attorney can meet with you at our office in Edina, Minneapolis or Woodbury. Our top rated dog bite lawyers also make house calls to St. Paul, Maplewood, Eagan, South St. Paul, New Hope, Golden Valley, Plymouth, Maple Grove, Champlin, Anoka, and other cities throughout MN.