How To Get Accident Medical Bills Paid

A pair of scissors on top of papers.
Medical Bills From Accident


Medical Bills from Minnesota Accident — Who Pays?

If you have been injured in an accident, you need to know who will pay the medical bills and how will you recover your lost wages. Our Minnesota personal injury lawyers answer these questions every day.We help people get their medical bills paid and recover lost wages after an accident. Here is an overview of how to get medical bills paid after an accident. These are the most common situations seen by our attorneys.


If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident in Minnesota, YOUR automobile insurance company is responsible for paying your initial medical bills.This is true even if you have health insurance coverage. MN No-Fault law requires that your auto insurance pay your medical bills even if the other driver is at fault.

Also, your own auto insurance pays your medical bills even if you are a passenger in someone else’s vehicle. See What are ‘No-Fault’ Benefits? However, what if you are a passenger in someone else’s car and you don’t own your own vehicle? In that situation, the medical bills will be paid by the automobile insurance of a relative you live with or the car you are in at the time of the crash.

Unfortunately, the medical insurance from your automobile policy is usually limited to $20,000. This means that if you have a more serious car accident with higher medical bills, you will also need to have access to health insurance or state aid.If the other driver is at fault, their insurance will ultimately have to pay these excess medical bills by repaying your health insurance or paying the bills directly. But this doesn’t happen until the final settlement of your case. Car accident injury cases are the cases our lawyers handle most frequently.


If your injury occurs while you are on a motorcycle, you may or may not have medical coverage from your motorcycle policy. While No-Fault medical coverage is required by law for all cars, it unfortunately is not mandatory for motorcycle insurance. Therefore, whether you have medical coverage on your motorcycle depends on whether you purchased it as part of your insurance policy.

If you do not have medical coverage as part of your motorcycle insurance, you can still get your medical bills paid through your own health insurance.Ultimately, the liability insurance of the driver of the car that caused your accident. Our attorneys represent many people injured in a motorcycle accident every year.


If you are injured while you are on the job, your employer’s workers compensation insurance is required to pay your medical bills. However, some work injury cases are caused by a third party (someone not related to your employer). For example, if you are delivering pizza and you are rear ended, or you are injured by a defective machine at work. In those cases, you have an additional claim that our lawyers can help you with. Also, your employer’s workers compensation insurance will be repaid out of any future settlement you have with the third party who is responsible for the accident.


If you were injured on someone else’s property, your health insurance will most likely be required to initially pay your medical bills. However, you may still have a compensation claim against the property owner or other responsible party. In those circumstances, your health insurance company will likely also have a right to obtain reimbursement from the person or business that caused your injury. The reimbursement will come out of your settlement.

It is also possible that the property owner has what is known as ‘medical payment coverage‘ through their homeowners insurance or general liability insurance. This may pay a limited amount of your medical bills as well.

If you do not have health insurance, you may be able to qualify for state medical benefits – even if you are employed. For more information, check out the Minnesota Department of Human Services at


You may be entitled to other medical benefits. For more information about what medical benefits may be available to you after you have been injured in an accident, contact our law firm. You will speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer who will answer your questions. Our lawyers have more than 25 years of experience. We have successfully handled hundreds of accident injury cases throughout Minnesota.

Pam Rochlin or David Rochlin will discuss your case with you and explain your rights, including how to get your medical bills paid from the accident. There is no obligation on your part, and we always only charge a percentage of the compensation you receive from the other party’s insurance.

You can discuss how to get your accident medical bills paid with an attorney at our offices in Minneapolis, Edina, Woodbury, and St. Louis Park. A lawyer will also meet you to discuss accident-related medical bills and other issues related to your injury case at your home in St. Paul, Roseville, White Bear Lake, Brooklyn Park, Maple Grove, Rogers, Elk River, Chanhassen, Chaska, Prior Lake, Apple Valley, Burnsville, and other cities throughout Minnesota.