Injured Elses Property

A fire hydrant is in the grass near a building.




Most people believe that if you are injured on someone else’s property, the property owner is responsible. That is not actually correct: In Minnesota, the property owner is only responsible for injuries that occur on their property if they were at fault in causing the injury. This law applies if you are injured at an apartment building, condo, house, store, or other business in MN.

Whether or not your accident was the property owner’s fault usually requires some investigation and legal analysis. Therefore, we suggest you contact an experienced property injury lawyer if you have been injured on someone’s property. We will help you determine whether or not you have a legal case against the owner or manager of the property. Our attorneys provide free case evaluations every day for people who are injured on someone’s property in Minnesota.


It is very important after you have been injured on someone’s property to get photographs of the area where you fell. We need to identify the cause of your fall. The problem that caused the accident may be eliminated soon after your fall. Therefore, it is important to get photos as soon as possible. Have someone take photographs of the area if you can’t do it yourself. You may even need someone to go back to the area where you fell. Then, contact a property injury attorney right away so we can do further investigation if necessary.

Our MN injury lawyers once had a case where a deck collapsed (see photo above) at an apartment building. The incident happened on a Friday. Fortunately, we were able to get an investigator there over the weekend. By Monday the collapsed deck and all evidence had been moved. If our attorneys had not gotten the investigator out there right away, we would have had a much more difficult time proving the case.


If you have been injured on someone’s property it is important to report the injury to the property owner. If possible, this should be done in writing. However, until you can notify the owner in writing, an initial phone call will suffice. You should tell the owner generally that you were injured on their property and what happened. Also, briefly describe your injuries. However, do not provide a recorded or written statement regarding the accident before speaking with a lawyer.

Even if you don’t have a legal case against the owner of the property, you may be entitled to certain medical benefits from the property owner’s insurance company. If you have been injured on someone’s property in MN, please contact our office for a free consultation. An accident injury lawyer can provide you information on what benefits may be available to you. Pam Rochlin and David Rochlin are Minnesota personal injury attorneys with 25 years’ experience successfully handling hundreds of cases. We will answer your questions and tell you if you have a case against the owner of the property. Most importantly, we will make sure your rights are protected.