Slip Fall On Sidewalk Ice Outside Of Building Can I sue Owner


This is a question our Minnesota personal injury lawyers receive many times every winter.  The answer is that it depends on the situation. First, it is important to know that the owner is not automatically responsible just because you fell and were injured on their sidewalk property.  The owner is only responsible if they did something wrong to cause the problem or did not correct it within a reasonable time.  It is also important to understand that the level of responsibility of a property owner depends in part on the expected usage of the property.  In other words, the more people expected to come to the property, the higher the care the property owner is responsible for.  An example of this difference is that a property owner of a busy mall at Christmas time should have the highest responsibility to care for the sidewalks and parking lot, especially as compared with someone’s home you might be visiting or a business with very little foot traffic.

Another important consideration that determines if you can successfully sue a property owner when you are injured from a slip and fall on their sidewalk or parking lot, is whether it was snowing or freezing raining at the time you fell or soon thereafter. A property owner is generally given a reasonable amount of time after a weather event to take care of their property before they can be held legally responsible to a person who slipped and fell on ice or slippery conditions.

There are many other factors to consider as well when considering a case against a property owner for a slip fall injury case.  If you have been injured because you fell on an ice sidewalk in Minnesota, call us and speak with a lawyer for a free consultation. Our attorneys have more than 25 years’ experience successfully representing people who slipped and fell on ice, as well as other types of accidents throughout MN. We help you determine if there is a case against the property owner. An attorney will answer your questions, explain your rights, and make sure you get the compensation you are entitled to.