Relative Injured In My House Homeowners Insurance Lawyer MN


Family Member Injured at My House Homeowners Insurance
Family Member Injured at My House Homeowners Insurance

Our lawyers have received many phone calls over the past 25 years from people saying “a relative fell or was injured at my house” and “it was my fault.” They want to know if their homeowner’s insurance will cover the accident.  The answer in many cases is yes.  Homeowners insurance will cover you for anyone injured in an accident while visiting your house – even if it is a close relative like a child, parent or sibling. However, it will not cover family members who live with you.

Our Minnesota personal injury attorneys have handled dozens of accident cases where someone was injured in an accident at a relative’s house.  We have had cases where a relative fell down the stairs or slipped and fell somewhere on the property. Our lawyers have had many cases where a dog bit a relative or injured a relative by knocking them over.  There have been cases of an injury because of a defective machine at a relative’s house, deck collapse, propane gas explosion, and many others.


As a starting point, must homeowners insurance policies have medical payment coverage.  This will automatically pay a limited amount of medical bills (usually about $5,000), without even proving fault. Then, most homeowners policies come with liability insurance. Liability insurance pays compensation for injuries caused by the homeowner or relatives living in the home. The accident doesn’t even have to have occurred in the home. For example, we have had many cases where a child injures another child at school or the park.  Homeowners insurance will cover the child’s liability.

If you are injured at your parents’ house, or your brother or sister’s or other relative’s house, and have questions about homeowners insurance for medical bills and other compensation, call us and speak with a lawyer for a free consultation.  We will answer your questions and make sure your interests are protected. We have office where you can meet an attorney in Minneapolis, Edina, and Woodbury. However, we take office throughout MN and will come to your home or meet over Zoom.